Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hazerdous Outdoor Living

We all know it comes with the territory. Bumps and bruises, scrapes and scars. It goes hand in hand with living in the great outdoors.

We’ve all had our share of bruising, scraping or injuring ourselves in one way or another since we’ve been up here.

While out salmon fishing, Chase was caught in the head by a low hanging tree branch and barely made it back alive (or so the story goes; it changes every time).

At least he was still able to see well enough to bring home these lovely beauties.

Each person is only allowed to take two salmon home with him and let me tell you, these beasts are going to go a long way!

On the other hand, try as I might, I am unable to completely protect my little man from all harm. It’s a hard lesson to learn as a mom when you realize they’re going to get hurt (many times because of something they do to themselves) and there’s not much you can do to stop them.

For some reason Baby Kurt seems to get all kinds of bug bites. There’s the occasional mosquito bite (those are mostly on his face), but every once in a while a strange bite shows up that sends me just about into a complete panic. I show Chase and his usual reaction is, “Oh it’s just a spider bite.” Or “Probably some weird bee stung him.” Uh- not helping the panic! Poor little guy. I take solace in the fact that he doesn’t seem to be bothered one bit by these bites. He doesn’t scratch or cry when you touch them. He’s still one happy little camper!

Take for instance, the other day. With our new floors (i.e. rugs) he loves scooting and rolling all over the place. We practice crawling many times throughout the day. When he’s on his own though, he’s a rolling fool. He’s up. He’s down. He’s doing pushups. He’s scooting backwards. Over and over, time and time again. He was playing on the floor and I saw him kind of do a small face plant. I waited to see if he’d cry. He grumped a little (I could only see the back of him), but got up and went on his marry way.

When he turned around again, it took me a minute to realize something dark was on his nose. As I got closer, I realized it wasn’t just on his nose- it was smeared all over his face, his hands, and his hair (he must have smeared it while doing the “sleep” sign). When he did a face plant, apparently, he did a little more than just hit his head. I couldn’t see what he scraped his little nose on. The only thing I could think of was it must have been a nasty little carpet burn.

Was he bothered by this at all? Why no, no he wasn’t! I had to pull him away from his toys (an act that had him a little miffed at the time) so I could hold his hands down and so Dad could take a picture. My little man is one tough little cookie!


No comments:

Post a Comment